In friendship and all relationships in life, I believe it is the little things that matter – paying attention to little details and treating people with the tenderness we would like to receive, is something which warms my heart.
The tiniest acts of kindness harbor a special place in my heart, and more often; to me the intention or the thoughts counts much more than the actual outcome.
Two days back in morning, I was having a conversation with a friend and I asked if he was free in evening and in town to speak over the call. Within a minute, I got two messages which read:
“I am on a flight headed to Accra. I can call you once I reach there”
“I hope all is well.”
It left me dumbstruck for a moment and I immediately replied that I am doing excellent and it wasn’t anything urgent and that we’ll speak once he’s back in town. Again, I get a prompt reply that it would be Thursday and that he would call me.
Now, many times I have had people whose first reaction would be to ask what the matter is or inform that they are not in town or that they are busy and if I had something important to talk.
So, this thoughtful text from my friend really melted my heart and reinforced into me that thoughtfulness is one of the most important qualities for any relationship to flourish. Compassion, empathy, and generosity occupy a special place in my heart.
To me, thoughtfulness is:
- My dad asking what I’ve had for breakfast
- My friend reminding me every Wednesday evening that it’s your “fasting Thursday” tomorrow so ensure you pack fruits and hope you don’t get boring work at office 😛
- Getting as a gift, something I just mentioned in the passing that I wanted to get for myself
- My brother doing my share of chores when I’m not feeling well
- Someone who’s had a long, hard day at work stays awake just to listen to my rant
- A friend waking me up at night to ensure I don’t hit the snooze and study for my exams
- A friend accompanying me for grocery shopping just to lift my shopping bags and give me company 😀
- My boss saying a thank you and appreciating my work
- “In a meeting, will call back asap” text when my phone/text doesn’t get answered
- Holding my hand while crossing the road
- Offering me a handkerchief when I’ve just washed my hands and don’t have tissues around
- Serving me the bigger piece of the chocolate
- Sending me videos of stretching exercises when I complain of sore muscles after a run
- Text/Call me once you reach home – instruction
- “Good morning” text every morning
- “You must be tired, sleep now. GN SD” when I start making typos while texting at night 😛
Thoughtfulness lies in small acts of care and concern. It is how affectionately we choose to treat someone.
I am so thankful for some of the most amazing, kind and loving people in my life. I want to tell you all today that:
As much as we would love to be the recipient of such unselfish thoughtfulness, let us strive to be thoughtful to those around us and bring a smile to their face 🙂 Kindness costs nothing to the giver, but it means so much to the receiver.
“You get more of what you appreciate in life.”